This photograph, taken by Rufus Holsinger in 1918, shows a railroad worker making repairs to trolley tracks that ran from Downtown Charlottesville out to the end of Jefferson Park Avenue.
Today, the view from the spot where Holsinger stood looks like this:
This is one of the houses seen in the 1919 photograph, still standing on the corner of Stribling and JPA.
The tracks were originally laid in the late 19th Century to transport Charlottesville citizens from town to a resort area that included the Jefferson Park Hotel and an amusement park called Wonderland. Built by the electric trolley company to increase the number of riders on the trolley, Wonderland did not last long. A few years later it would be replaced by a new destination away from the bustle of town providing swimming in a huge pool and summer recreation under the shade of tall oaks by Fry's Spring. More than 90 years later, Fry's Spring Beach Club still exists although the tracks along JPA are long gone.