In 1936, Ford Motor company announced it was manufacturing its three millionth truck.
Despite the Depression of the 1930s, Ford continued to be a successful car maker and Charlottesville Motors, the local dealership, had success as well. This photograph by Ralph Holsinger shows the staff of the dealership in front of their location in the 300 block of West Main across from Inge's Store (now West Main Restaurant).
The building has been used for many other things over the years including a bowling alley and cable TV company. Today the building looks like this:
Not long after the Holsinger photo was taken Charlottesville Motors would move to a greatly expanded location just west of the bridge on West Main Street. Throughout much of the Twentieth Century, West Main Street, between the University and Midway (Ridge St.), was Charlottesville's "Motor Mile" with auto dealerships and service stations concentrated in this part of the town.
This next image shows the view from the railroad tracks that run behind the building:
This is the very same view in the early decades of the 20th Century, before Charlottesville Motors moved to the location. 9th Street, SW crossed the tracks in those days where now it comes to a dead end on both sides of the track:
Holsinger images courtesy Special Collections, UVA Library.
All other photos ©2009-2013 Trumbull Photography.